What use is a knife if it isn’t sharp? There’s plenty of ways that you can go about sharpening your knives, but the most effective of those ways is always going to be to use a knife sharpener. However, finding a good knife sharpener is no easy task, especially when you’re buying on a budget of $50 or less.
Luckily, we’ve put together a guide detailing the best knife sharpeners you can buy for under $50, with a comprehensive review of each product in the category. We’ve also highlighted some of the other important information you might want to know.
Things to look for in a good knife sharpener
Before we jump straight into looking at the best cheap knife sharpeners that you can buy for under $50, it’s worth first taking into consideration some of the things that you should look for in a good knife sharpener. The most prominent thing that you’ll want a knife sharpener to do is sharpen your knives and sharpen them well. Sounds pretty obvious, right? You’ll find that all of the knife sharpening products featured in this article despite being cheap will sharpen your knives and sharpen them well.
Also worth taking into consideration is the type of knives you plan on sharpening. Knives are often made with different materials and different resistance levels. Chances are, you’re going to be using your knife sharpener with a range of different knives. If that’s the case, make sure you pick a knife sharpener that is flexible to suit any type of knife. You might be using your knife sharpener one day to sharpen your bread knife or your pocket knife the next day, so it’s important that you choose a flexible product to work with you.
Finally, one final thing you’ll want to remember this that your knife sharpener needs to be safe. Look for a product with adequate safety features to ensure safe use within your home.
Why should you buy a knife sharpener?
When it comes to why you should buy a knife sharpener, you’d imagine that the answer to that question is very simple. It goes without saying that your knives are an incredibly useful set of utensils in your kitchen, but a dull knife is no use. It will be incredibly unhelpful when it comes to preparing food and actually pretty dangerous.
This is exactly where knife sharpening comes in. You likely remember your grandfather using a number of techniques to sharpen kitchen knives back when you were a child and you could very well use a similar technique today. However, you’ll quickly find that using a knife sharpener is much easier and much safer. Considering knife sharpeners are available so cheaply, it seems like a no brainer to pick one up, especially when you’re saving yourself such a great deal of time and effort in the long run.
As a final note, you’ll also likely find that the end result of your knife sharpening is much better having used a good knife sharpener for the process. If you really value the need for a good sharp set of knives in your kitchen, a good knife sharpener is a must.
How to Choose the Best Knife Sharpener
With all of the information above, you can see that each particular type of knife sharpener is sufficient for many different purposes. Some are better for kitchen knives, while others are betters for pocket knives. This presents somewhat of a complication that cannot be solved for you! Instead, it is absolutely vital for you to answer the question on your own.
What does this mean? Well, you are the only individual, who can determine the best knife sharpener for your own needs. Before attempting to choose, it is vital to know exactly how and how frequently you will be using this tool. Other specific parameters should also be taken into account. Below, you will find information that can help you form a solid foundation.
- Your Budget – Budget and pricing will always be a factor no matter what you purchase. As already mentioned, some of these sharpeners are more expensive than others, but those that are tend to be much more convenient. Ultimately, this will come down to a personal choice. Make sure that you set a budget and stick with. By doing this, you will be able to get a solid product that won’t bankrupt you.
- Your Speed Requirements – How quick do you need this device to operate? Do you need it to get the job done, within seconds? Or, do you have more time to spare? Remember that each individual sharpener works at a different pace. For those that need something much speedier, it is best to stick with an electric or pull-through sharpener. Both are much quicker than their competitors.
- Your Cutlery – Before taking a look at your sharpener options, you should take the time to check out your knives! Each individual type of sharpener is better suited for particular knives! Make sure that you take this into consideration. Still, some sharpeners are very well rounded and can be used for various types of knives. This is definitely another thing to take into account.
- Ease of Use – Are you willing to take the time to learn to properly sharpen your knife? When looking for a sharpener, you should remember that some of these products are capable of operating for you, while others require a little bit more effort. If you’re not willing to put in the effort, you should rely on devices that are effortless, such as electric and pull-through models. Knife sharpening systems are fairly easy to use, as well!
- Portability – Are you going to be taking the sharpener with you? If this is the case, you should make sure that you choose a device that is going to be very portable, lightweight and small. For supreme portability, you will need to make sure so stay away from electric sharpeners and sharpening systems. These are not very portable, at all! Instead, you should look for a sharpening stone or a pull-through model. Each of these is much more portable.
- Storage Allotment – How much space are you willing to allot to your knife sharpener? Although this won’t be such a big deal for some individuals, it will be a major selling point for others. By choosing a smaller product, such as the Chef’s Choice Pronto or the King Sharpening Stone, you will be able to toss your sharpener in a drawer and forget about it, until you need it again. On the other hand, a bigger product, such as an electric or entire sharpening system, will require increased space. Be sure to choose an option that fits your preferences.
- Give Yourself Peace of Mind – When attempting to purchase a knife sharpener, it is vital to do so with an endless amount of confidence. In order to do this, it is a good idea to read a massive amount of knife sharpener reviews. By reading this information, you will undoubtedly find tons of helpful details that will pertain specifically to your purchase. Without this information, you will be purchasing blindly and could potentially regret it!
- Durability, Longevity and Warranty – Finally, everyone will want to put a little more effort into these features! It is vital to make sure that you select a product that is going to provide you with durability and plenty of longevity! A warranty will ensure that your investment is well worth it and will prove to be fruitful.
Once you’ve answered all of these questions, you will want to move forward and begin looking for the precise sharpener for your specific needs. Be sure to make a checklist with the answers above. By staying true to this specific list, you will be able to ensure that your personal needs are met precisely.
Other factors to take into consideration when buying a knife sharpener
We’re now approaching the section of the article in which we take a look at our top 5 cheap knife sharpeners for under $50. However, there’s first a few others that are worth taking into consideration when it comes to buying a knife sharpener. One of the most prominent of those factors is size. You’d be forgiven for thinking that the bigger a knife sharpener is, the better it’s going to be. However, you’ll want to make sure that you have space for the knife sharpener. Some people choose to keep such a piece of equipment in their garage, but if you’re looking to use the knife sharpener regularly, you may keep it in the kitchen.
Something else you’ll want to take into consideration is how much experience you have in using a knife sharpener. If you’re new to sharpening your own knives at home, you’ll want to choose a piece of equipment that’s easy to use.
Top 5 Best Knife Sharpeners under $50
Having taken all of the above into consideration, you’re likely now wondering which knife sharpener to opt for. Luckily, we’ve put together our top 5 best knife sharpeners that you can pick up for less than $50 – with more functionality than you might think.
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener
The whole purpose of this article is to lay out some of the best options when it comes to buying a cheap knife sharpener for under $50, however, this product is much cheaper than that, coming in at just over $5 in total. What’s more, this knife sharpener is actually Amazon’s number one best-selling product in the category, which tells you something about the popularity of it.
One of the other things we love about this knife sharpener is how easy it is to use. Even if you’re a beginner to the world of knife sharpening, you’ll find this to be an easy to use product. This is coupled with a pretty compact design, meaning you can store this knife sharpener in your kitchen and pull it out when you need it. A sleek black and silver design should also make this particular product blend well into your kitchen.
SunrisePro Knife Sharpener in Red
If you’re looking for a quality product closer to the $50 mark in your knife sharpener, this option from SunrisePro comes in at around $24 and gives you a good quality knife sharpening experience. It doesn’t matter what kind of knife you’re looking to sharpen with your knife sharpener, this product is targeted towards sharpening just about any knife type. The last thing you want is the need to have a range of different knife sharpeners for different types of knives and this sharpener prevents the need for that and saves you some serious money in the process.
Generally speaking, this knife sharpener from SunrisePro looks and feels like a substantial product. Obviously you’re not going to be getting the best quality product for $50 here, but this definitely feels like a substantial option. We find it hard not to recommend it.
Fortune Prod 001 AccuSharp Knife and Tool Sharpener
There’s been a consistent theme amongst the knife sharpeners featured in this article so far and actually most of the knife sharpeners on the market and that theme is that the sharpener is designed to sit on a counter top. This product from AccuSharp is different; the Fortune Prod 001 is designed to be used in your hand, meaning you can store it with the rest of your kitchen utensils and pull it out when needed.
The Fortune Prod 001 is used by drawing over your tool. It’s incredibly easy to use and takes no time at all. You can probably imagine that this particular knife sharpener isn’t designed for constant use, but if you need to occasionally sharpen your knives, it’ll do the job. What’s more, it comes in at around $8, which isn’t bad at all.
WINCO 12-Inch Sharpening Steel
If you’ve ever seen a professional chef sharpening their knives in the kitchen, it’s likely a sharpening steel that you’ve seen them using. It’s quite simply a piece of straight steel that can be used to rub your knives along, which is arguably one of the easiest and most simple ways to sharpen a knife. If you’re looking to simply sharpen your knives before use, you might find this sharpener from WINCO to be a good option to just pull out and use.
It typically comes in a 12” size, which you’ll find to be good for most kitchens and knives, but there’s also a 14” variant available if you need that extra bit of length.
PreciSharp Easy Knife Sharpener
The last knife sharpening option on our list is again one of the slightly more expensive variants. It comes in at $24.99, which is just within the boundaries of our $50 range. However, for that price you’re getting your hands on a well made little knife sharpener that’s designed for use by both beginners and professionals.
We can comfortably say that this is a good all round product. It’s designed for use with a range of different knife types and to be simple and reliable. It’s also one of the safest options we’ve seen when it comes to picking a good knife sharpener. PreciSharp have designed their product to be a good all round knife sharpener, which you can easily tell.
In conclusion, a good knife sharpener could make the world of difference to the dull knives currently sitting in your kitchen. You might be led to believe that you’ll have to shell out a fortune for such a piece of equipment, but that couldn’t be further from the case. Whether it’s a handheld or other variant of knife sharpener, it’s a good addition to your kitchen.