How does it feel when you need to slice an onion using a cool kitchen knife that works only with your fingertip pressure? Have you ever experienced the cutting object slipping off your hand or cutting table due to the dull or misaligned knife? This itself speaks about the importance of having a sharpened knife or sharpening the knife at fixed intervals. However, this does not mean that your knife has to be razor-sharp; as such a high level of sharpness can be quite risky. However, at the same time, a dull knife is also risky because it always raises the chance of a spiteful slip while cutting.
So, what you actually need? Well, the need is of a polished, optimally sharp edge with a little, affordable, and more efficient maintenance. This is exactly where you will need the best electric life sharpener. Regardless of whether you are a traveling enthusiast, a busy mother in the kitchen, or a restaurant chef, a sharp knife is a necessity.
Until now, most of us have used a manual sharpener that can hone and retain blades in a fine shape. However, there is a more cheaper as well as the effective sharpener type to give a coarse but long lasting serration. This is the electric model that is comparatively faster, easier, and more convenient.
Electric Knife Sharpeners: Replacing the Old-fashioned Sharpening Methods
Applying a stone composed of anything from diamond to ceramic discards all surplus substances from the knife’s blade to deliver a razor-sharp edge. Stones do work well for pocket and kitchen knives due to their effectiveness and compactness. However, they need much time and skill for the work to be done as desired. This is why modern technology has come up with an automatic mechanism to convert the dullness into optimal sharpness in just some seconds.
Electric Knife Sharpeners: An Overview
If you’re looking for total convenience, easy of use and no guesswork, you’ll find that the electric knife sharpener is undeniably the very best knife sharpener for you. Be prepared for a little bigger sharpener, if you decide to purchase one of these. They can be a little bit large and will sit on your countertop of table. Usually, they’re rectangular or square and fairly lightweight, so you’ll easily be able to hide yours in the cabinet once you’ve finished using it.
Of course, some of the better electric models, such as those from Presto, are very stylish and don’t need to be stowed away. Either way, these sharpeners are lightning fast and get the job completed quicker than the others. If you live a hectic lifestyle and don’t have time with the above sharpeners, the electric knife sharpeners from Chef’sChoice and Wusthof are definitely worth checking out! The easy of use and convenience are simply unparalleled. The only negative to these will ultimately be the increase in price.
These machines work best for kitchen knives and work well for pocket knives. For tactical knives, you will likely be better with another type of sharpener, which allows you to maintain entire control of the sharpening process.
Electric knife sharpeners usually feature two sharpening slots, along with fine as well as coarse sharpening openings. Nevertheless, a few manufacturers add an extra slot known as medium sharpening.
These slots come with installed abrasive disks spinning against the edge of the knife, while sharpening. Each of these disks is made using a certain material. The slots steer the knife, on one side initially, and then on the remaining, which needs practice to cut at the precise angle. The sharpening angles are fixed in a way such that the sharpener is able to act with versatility.
Due to this factor of versatility, an electric sharpener is perfect for sharpening knives having different levels of dullness. All you have to do is power the tool, turn it on, and pull the knife smoothly through the slots. Electric models can also sharpen serrated knives at high speed.
Best Electric Knife Sharpener: Before Looking for It
There are a few factors to consider before you go ahead and know about the different electric sharpeners. Doing so certainly eases out your task of choosing the one that fits your needs.
- Types of existing knives, as electric sharpeners are ideal for sporting, pocket, and kitchen knives with straight edge or one-sided serrated edge (of the two, the serrated one dulls much slower than a normal straight edge one).
- Cost of Existing Knives, as rare over wearing due to electric sharpeners is common in case of inexpensive knives, and that more expensive sharpeners are smoother on knives, including the most professional one.
- Storage space, as lack of space indicates having a compact sharpener, as some of them might need a permanent space on the counter, while some easily fit in a drawer.
- Your Noise Sensitivity, as a few electric sharpeners create noise, but that can be tolerable if you are too sensitive to the whetstone grinding sound.
Factors to Consider
While researching and looking for the best electric knife sharpener, you should consider the important buying factors affecting your selection. These factors typically revolve around your preference and sharpener’s features so that you strike a perfect balance between the two, for getting the one that exceed your expectations to keep the knife in effectively working state.
Electric knife sharpeners are undoubtedly beneficial and very effective, but they also come with a few more concerns. This is the case, because they’re equipped with so many additional components. The internal motor is one such component. With this in mind, it is essential to explore all of the characteristics of each sharpener, before you make your decision. Below, you will find a breakdown of each of these for your convenience.
- Number of Stages: Investing in 3-slot sharpener is ideal for enjoying maximum versatility through just a single tool. In case of only two slots, you may need another tool for polishing the edges. Otherwise, at least have a 2-slot model for super sharpness after consuming some time. The first slot is with coarse material for old and dull knives, while the second one is for honing and refining the knives for finishing the look. If there is a finer slot, it is ideal for polishing and in between sharpening.
- The Internal Motor: Each of these devices is equipped with an internal motor that does the work for you. It is essential to make sure that the motor is going to provide you with many years of service. You can do this, by reading knife sharpener reviews for these particular units. If you discover one that seems to breakdown quickly, you will want to stay away from it, at all costs.
- The Angle: Go for an electric model that allows deciding the angle level for holding the edge at, while sharpening, in case you a beginner or learner when it comes to using a sharpener. Some models are made to help in this area, by automatically holding the knife at the precise angle. Choose the sharpener as per the knife angle. A western knife has an angle between 20° to 25°, while an Asian knife’s angle is over 15°.
- Material of Grinding Stone or Abrasives: Diamond abrasives are best for having a razor-sharp, long lasting edge faster than ceramics, making the sharpener perfect for those who are new to sharpening. The only con is that diamond abrasives are not that better for an ideally straight edge and final polishing. This is the reason why the third slot will typically not have a diamond but rather a synthetic or ceramic material. If you wish sharpness quickly, consider an electric sharpener with one of the stages having the diamond sharpening wheels. After all, it is the hardness of the abrasive surface that indicates how quickly and well sharpening shall occur. Diamond is perhaps the hardest material, followed by tungsten carbide and polished ceramic.
- Size and Weight: These factors are essential to check out for a better user experience although they do not affect the sharpening ability. Plastic electric sharpeners are lighter, but are not durable as those commercial-grade metal tools. At the same time, ensure that the base is non-slippery to guarantee protection to yourself.
- Great Performance: A poorly performing electric knife sharpener triggers only frustration and knife damage. Therefore, it is best to see customer reviews and ratings for judging the effectiveness of the promising model.
- Safety: Consider having a model that has some important safety features such as self-cleaning mode (no manual cleaning) preventing from sharpening the finger ends. In case you do not find specific features, ensure that the design and working process is as per the required safety to keep risks away.
- Single- or Double-sided: Single side models deliver a flat, stronger bevel than a concave one and are ideal for serrate knives. However, they run the risk of occasional scratching. Double-sided models create concave bevels and are easier to use. Nevertheless, you cannot use them for chisel knives.
- Easily Replaceable Parts: When selecting one of these products, you will want to ensure that it is going to provide you with many years of use. In order for this to happen, you need to choose one that has replaceable sharpening pads that can be removed and changed easily! If the process is too complicated, you likely won’t do it and the investment will become a waste. Therefore, it should be easy to change for your convenience.
- Warranty: It is absolutely vital to make sure that the manufacturer offers a good warranty! Although this might not matter so much with the others, it does for the electric knife sharpener! The internal motor and other components, which move about, can wear out. Since more things can go wrong here, you will want to make sure that the manufacturer backs up their product with a lengthy warranty.
How to Use Electric Knife Sharpeners
Overall, using one of these machines is entirely effortless and easy. You only need a single hand, which cannot be said for the models above. Once you’ve got the sharpener and the knife, you will be able to adjust the settings on the machine. Remember that each individual model will have a variety of different settings to play around with. Once you’ve got them set to your particular preferences, you’ll be able to insert the blade into the sharpener and allow the machine’s motor to do all of the work.
Some models work quicker than others, but all are faster than the other sharpeners above. Within seconds, your knife will be ready to use, regardless of the task at hand!
Top 5 Electric Knife Sharpeners
As per the customer reviews and ratings, here are top 5 models you can consider as per your requirements.
Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
It is easy to use, safe, automatic angle detection, and sharpens straight edge and non-serrated kitchen and sport knives to deliver razor-like sharpness and fine hones along with polished edges for professional output. The tool has plastic handle, sapphirite sharpening wheels, and two slots.
LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener
Designed to facilitate sharpening with homely comfort and at most affordable price, this tool features two stage mechanism and automatic blade positioning. Stage 1 helps in sharpening the edge and reshaping the angle, whereas Stage 2 gives finishing to the process by polishing and honing. Automatic blade positioning ensures perfect position of the knife. There is also a heavy-duty suction resistance to slip for holding the sharpener in place while at use. However, this sharpener is not for serrated knives.
Wusthof 3 Stage Electric Knife Sharpener
With silver and gray plastic housing, this sharpener with a bit more cost sharpens, polishes, and hones both serrated and straight blades. Even this one comes with two-stage mechanism, one stage for sharpening through 100% diamond abrasive wheel and other for refining and honing via an advanced grit diamond wheel.
Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect
Three stages, plastic handle, and sapphirite sharpening wheels working effectively on both straight edge and serrated kitchen, sports, pocket, and household knives. It can sharpen Asian, European, and American-style knives, convert 20-degree factory edge into professional 15-degree edge, and includes diamond abrasives along with automatic angle adjustment. The warranty is maximum, which is of 3 years against the normal time of 1 year. However, it is a bit costly.
Chef’s Choice 320 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
Designed as a multi-stage sharpener, this one delivers an incredibly new edge with full sharpness, even for high-quality knives. It is perhaps the most versatile sharpener, as it can sharpen serrated, fine-edge pocket, sport, Santuko, and conventional Japanese style knives. You can even regain a 15-degree and 20-degree edge for Asian, American, and European-style knives. At an unbeatable price, this model comes with three-stage mechanism for giving you a perfect edge. Accurate guides ensure accurate position for safe operation, whereas 100% diamond abrasives together with flexible discs deliver optimal honing, sharpening, and subtly polished edge.
An average kitchen user or a professional with little time to cook can easily find an electric knife sharpener of their choice. However, research and precise mapping of needs and features are the keys to get the best electric knife sharpener.